Tuesday 16 July 2013

The Happy Endng to My Baby Afghan

Unfortunately attempting to take a photo with my iPad resulted in this crapstacular photo below:

It looks a little washed out, and it was being held up by Mr. Rai-Rai.  The wrinkles are courtesy of having it folded to fit into a bag the size of my change purse.  Time was running out and I neither had the time or the energy to iron again, so this is the result.   BUT, it looks fantastic, and that's the main thing.

I had a very talented girl sew a lining onto the back for me, so baby won't get his pudgy little fingers caught in loose threads. 

She did a beautiful job!  Now this is ready to work as a quilt or a wall hanging.   I also chose not to fray the outside as the pattern call for, because if baby is going to use it as a blanket, I don't want little threads finding their way into his mouth to choke him.

My friend bought baby over today and I finally got to meet the chubby little delight, but I got to spend some quality time laughing with my bff.  Oh how I miss her!  She caught the ferry over and we spent a total of about 2.5 hours together before she had to catch the ferry home.   It was a short visit, but so worth it.

Val and bub enjoying the blanket.

Close up of Val and bub. He was fascinated by how even my stitching was, and the sheer detail in my work!   (Just kidding, he was more interested in the cat).  And I must remind myself, before taking photos for my blog - remove the folded laundry in the background. (Queue a Homer Simpson D'oh right about here.)

So, that's it, dear readers! This is where my journey with this little baby afghan ends. 

Thanks for hanging out with me during my moments of frustration and wibbling over this project.  The end result was worth every moment!

Now, back to my Dragon stocking.  I should have an update in about a month or so.

~Rai Rai

13 comments:

  1. I love this post. I couldn't stop laughing, you're so funny. I do believe he was fascinated by the evenness of your stitching and the mad detail everywhere ~ Congrats it's an awesome gift for your bff and her baby.

    Enjoy stitching dragon stocking
    Alicia xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's funny because in the photo it looks like he is inspecting the piece for quality assurance, whereas in reality he was staring at the cat.

      It was so much fun seeing my friend. Our highlight of the day was trying to figure out how to install the carseat. It took us literally about 15 minutes. So, finally we get it all strapped in and we high five each other for a job well done, and for being so incredibly, incredibly clever, when we realize we forgot to put the baby IN the car seat. He was chilling in the front seat, ready to go. We had to unstrap it all so we could put the baby in the seat.

      What a couple of dummies!



      Delete
  2. Hello

    Congratulations on your gorgeous finish its awesome!
    Looking forward to your next update!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm working hard on my Dragon, but I'm about to start a mad run of working night shifts, so I will be unable to even pick it up for about a week.

      I fear withdrawl symptoms will set in.

      Delete
  3. The afghan is super cute and so is the baby!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Tracy, I'm super happy with the results, but I'm glad it's finally done.

      Delete
  4. Hurray! You finished it and got the lining done too, before your friend and baby came to visit. What a wonderful gift that will be cherished forever!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Deb! The girl who did the lining did a beautiful job. Lining it was definitely the right decision.

      Val hasn't decided if she wants to use it as a bed cover, or hang it on her wall.

      Delete
  5. This is a beautiful baby afghan, i've seen this in my cross stitch book ( the chart I mean ) and am thinking of doing it for a beautiful gift. its so lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is beautiful when it is complete, for sure. If I can give you a bit of advice, it's use 3 strands or even 4 strands on this piece. 2 strands, which is what the pattern calls for, isn't enough.

      Best of luck and don't forget to post your progress!

      Delete
    2. Thank you for the Advice, it is so worth doing, I love it and yours has come out beautiful. pleased to meet you by the way :)

      Delete