Friday 20 July 2018

Back from the Framers

I bet you think I've fallen off the face of the earth, haven't you? But I've actually been busy stitching like mad.

First off, I FINALLY got around to framing Meeting on the Turret Stairs.  This was surprisingly hard to frame, because how I envisioned it in my head just didn't seem to work.  I was planning on using a mottled matting in browns to compliment the castle walls, but it just didn't work.  So in the end I chose a very, very dark plum, almost black. I felt it brought the shadows to the foreground and showcased the piece in the best light. 

I had to take the photo on an angle, because of the reflection, but this was the best shot out of all of them.  I'm really happy at the end result and I will hang her on my wall tonight. 

I don't know if I mentioned it before, but I'm going to England and Scotland in September. I'm so beyond excited for this trip.  We are staying with a couple of friends in England and I'm making Christmas stockings for their two children, they aren't quite finished yet, but I hope to have something to show you by the end of the month.  And the couple that we are staying with in Scotland are friends who we met on our first cruise and have stayed friends with.  They visited us here in Canada and now it's our turn to visit them.  They got married back in May, so I when I saw someone stitching this pattern, I knew it would make a perfect gift.  Thanks to Amazon.com and their 24 hour delivery, I got it.  I changed up the fabric to an 18 count Aida with a sparkle running through it, and stitched this up in one month.  For the matting I chose an emerald green. 

This is Friends Welcome (In Gaelic)  I think it will make a perfect wedding present for them and I can't wait to give it to them.

The sparkle in the fabric doesn't really show, but trust me, it makes a delightful little addition to the piece.

Because I've been busy making this and the stockings, I've had no time to work on my HaED's, although I did get about three pages of Wind Moon completed and I'll post a photo when I have a row completed. I've finished stitching her beautiful face and it does not disappoint. I'll be back to working on my HaED's after my trip and will hopefully have something to show off in October sometime. Until then, this blog might be a bit quiet. 

I'll, of course, post photos of the stockings when they are complete. 

I hope you are all having a lovely summer and I hope to touch base with you all soon!




14 comments:

  1. Both framed finishes look lovely. I especially like the second one best. It is a beautiful thoughtful present for your friends. You have certainly brought attention to the details with that one, from the fabric, matting and frame. Stunning!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies

    1. Thanks, Mii. Honestly that was the easiest of the two to frame. It was either a gold matting with a green frame or a green matting with a gold frame. We were lucky to have a green that matched one of the colours perfectly. Now I just have to carry it in my luggage from BC to Scotland. I can’t wait until they open it. I really hope they like it.

      Delete
  2. Two beautiful finishes! Have you framed them yourself? You must be a professional, they look amazing! Your friends will be thrilled with their gift.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh goodness no, I’m lucky enough to live near a professional framer that works out of his house. He’s very reasonable, he charged me $200 for both. He does such beautiful work. I’ve got old Mirabilias that need framing and I’m going to get them done before he retires.

      Delete
  3. Love your fully finished cross stitch.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'm actually going to enroll them in this years Exhibition fair. I'm so excited! I got the enrollment form today!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks!!! One was an unexpected project, but fun none-the-less.

      Delete
  5. Congrats on the beautiful framed pieces. Have a great trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Katie! I’m so excited! I get to ride on a train. I’ve never been on a train before. I think that’s what I’m most excited about.

      Delete
  6. The framing is very complementary... Beautiful choice! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I have a very good framer. He helps me pick out the frames and matting.

      Delete
  7. Oh wow have a fantastic trip. I'm so excited for you too!!! You're friends will be over the moon with their wedding gift from you. It's beautiful. I love the frame job on Turret it's perfect.
    xo Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia!! I was super happy at how it turned out too. I can't wait for my trip. in 100 hours I will be in the air and on my way.

      Delete