Friday 5 May 2017

Meeting on the Turret Stairs, Page 3 - Row Finish


Page 3 is complete and that's a row, folks.  I almost feel like a bit of a cheat that this pattern is so small, but it's a great feeling when I go to change my status bar and it jumps from 19% complete to 27% complete.  Go me!!!

So I can definitely see where some of the detail has been lost and that's her right hand. Maybe when more of the piece is stitched, it will look more like a hand, but right now it looks like a bit of a big white blob.  But overall, I'm really happy with how it's turning out, and the feathering effect, which doesn't seem to be working on Wind Moon, is working quite nicely here. 

I'm curious to know how many of you use apps to help organize your stash?  I was using Thread Tracker, but had had xstitch on my iPad for ages, but I'd never used it.  Finally I decided to give it a go and I'm so glad I did. What I love best about it is the notes section where you can be as descriptive as you want. 


I find it very helpful when I am working on two projects to know what threads are needed for which project and exactly where the extras are being housed - in my floss cabinet or in my plastic case where  I like to keep the extras for the projects I'm working on, so I'm not spending half the night looking for an extra skein because my inventory tells me I have one - somewhere

This is on iPad, I've been told it's also available for Android.  I find it works for me, does anybody have an app that works for them? I'd love to hear about it. 

In any case, I am now back to Wind Moon for one, possibly two pages.  Hopefully I'll have an update for you soon.



12 comments:

  1. I have this app and Love it!! It was fun, to me, to go through all of my stash and enter it. I found things I had forgotten about! And it's easy to add new stash, starts, and finishes, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! I can't imagine not using it now.
      As a 2 project (at most) stitcher, I find I don't have much stash other than floss to put in it, but it helps me keep track of how long my pages take to complete and how many stitches per page and so on. I find it dead handy.

      Delete
  2. I use this app too and love it! It keeps track of my 11 WIPS and the projects I have kitted up.

    I really love Meeting on the Turret Stairs. I think her hand looks fine and as you stitch more I think you'll be happier with it as you'll see it in context.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 11 whips! I sometimes feel overwhelmed with 2!
      You know, I think you're right. Her hand my look blobby to me but once the rest is stitched around, I'm sure it will make more sense to me.

      Delete
  3. Great work, nearly a third done now!
    I also use that app, I find it very useful to keep track of projects. When I remember to add them and update them!
    I only really use the chart and journal section as I have a full set of DMC already. I know when there are gaps!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, a third done, I can't believe how fast its stitching up.

      I, too, have a full set of DMC threads, but I've learned (the hard way) when doing a large project that calls for many skeins of the same thread, to buy that colour all at once, because the dye lots can and do sometimes change and the change can be visible with the naked eye. So that means multiple threads of multiple colours. So this way I can easily keep all of my thread inventory up to date and at a glance.
      *sigh stitching was never this complicated until I start

      Delete
  4. Yay congrats on finishing the row!!! Great job stunner.
    I use the Xstitch app on my phone and yep it's an android. I love it too. I also use the Hours Tracker app so I can lodge how much time I have spent on a wip and how many stitches worked during that time. I do it as I have 56 wips or so, it keeps increasing. So using the hours tracker I have a more accurate length of time it has taken me to progress on each wip.
    xo Alicia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I tried to use the hours tracker, bit I kept forgetting to turn it on and off. I'd be interested to see on average how many hours it takes to complete a page. I really have to start making a point of turning on my timer.
      I can't believe you have 56wips. I sometimes feel overwhelmed with 2. 😱

      Delete
  5. I am curious about which version of this you are stitching. I am doing the same painting, mine is the HAED regular sized one. I am starting to feel nervous about the chart. I began in the lower right corner and ALL the work is solid black and I can see clearly there should be very dark brown...any thoughts? According to the chart there are over 96,000+ stitches and 56,000+ are black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Valerie, I am stitching the mini. So it's bound to look quite a bit different from the regular size. My advice to you is to trust the pattern. It has been stitched up on regular size a few times by others and it turns out beautifully.
      I hope you post many updates!

      Delete
  6. I really loved your interview. And it was great to see a collection of your amazing finished projects. Wind Moon is looking great. I can't see any lines but it probably looks different to you. I'm looking forward to seeing your progress on Turret stairs that is my favourite of your wips at the moment.
    xo Alicia

    ลาลีกา

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think Turret is a lot of people's favourites. I think it's because there is a lot of detail per page, rather than endless sky and a glimpse of Moon, which is what I have with Wind Moon at the moment.

      Delete