Saturday, 31 December 2016
Back on planet reality, I ended up going to Sew and Sew Uk and just buying a Lowry. I have to say, it was a pretty good price, too! I was expecting to really pay through the nose, but they were having a Christmas sale, and because I was a brand new customer, I got another discount. So I ended up paying 77 pound sterling for the frame AND shipping, which, translated to Canadian funds, is $127. Not too shabby! My current stand, a K's Creation, the owner has offered to replace the broken piece if I send it back, or just buy a new piece for $50 usd plus shipping. I might still do that, and have a second frame on standby in case something happens to the Lowry. Like me stripping the screw.
It will also be a frame that I can loan to guests who come and stitch.
Now, back to Adrift, in the bottom picture, that line you see is just from the Q-Snap, it won't be permanent. I hurriedly took a photo as soon as I was done because I was boiling from Hot Cross Stitch Yoga, and dead tired. So I took a photo, packed it away and went to bed. I know many people are worried that Q-Snaps will damage their work, but it won't. Not permanently.
So, I think we can all agree that 2016 was a pretty crappy year, the one thing that I did get done was a mountain of stitching. On this, the last day of the year my stitch tally stands as such:
Adrift: 13 page finishes
Snow Stocking: 8 page finishes
Winter Hat Owl: 6 page finishes.
Giving me a grand total of 27 HaED Finishes. Then there was the little Thing 1 and Thing 2 bibs that I made for my co-worker. She had boys, by the way.
So even though 2016 was not the year we will look back on with "undiluted pleasure" to quote the Queen, I can at least look at this year and think to myself that I will never beat this record. So the year isn't a complete loss.
I wish all of my kindreds who read this little blog a Happy New Year. May your needles stay shiny and sharp, may your scissors never be confiscated by security at the airport, and may you stitch, stitch, stitch.
I'll see you all in 2017, or at Hot Cross Stitch Yoga.
Monday, 12 December 2016
Incidentally, the mini Snow full pattern says the dimensions are 325x229. So something is definitely awry. All I know is my complete bar says I'm at 50% complete, but there is no way that I still have 50% of the pattern to complete. I only have 3 partial pages to complete. It should say closer to 75% complete. Oh well, I'll just keep tallying up my stitches until I have 100% complete. Then it won't matter.
I managed to get some good stitching in, even though I've been working a lot. I'm back on Adrift, but I don't think my needle will be smoking on this next page. Don't get me wrong, time permitting, it will be.
I'm getting so eager to just finish these two projects. They are both so tantalizingly close to completely. After Christmas I will frame. I will have 2 HaED's to frame, my owl and Adrift, but I can only do one at a time. I'm thinking Adrift first.
I was at my stitch-n-bitch yesterday and I caught a snippit of a phone conversation from a lady who had sent her work in for framing and the framer had used some sort of "protection" on the piece. Only she had used Waterlillies floss, which, if you've ever used it, you have to a. wash first to color block it or b. to keep the color vibrant, don't wash it, and then stitch your piece carefully so you don't need to wash it when it's done. Well, I guess she had chosen option b, but suffice to say, her colors had all bled, absolutely ruining the finished product. She had phoned in tears asking if there was anything she could do. I didn't hear the advice given, because a gaggle of giggling ladies were calling to me, but I couldn't imagine having something happen like this. Because there is so much red DMC in the Owl, I hadn't planned on washing him - why chance it? But now, I just may have to specify to not treat him at all when framing. I've never heard of such things, but then again, I've had very few of my pieces finished. I just...I don't think I could emotionally recover if one of my pieces, especially a HaED that I've worked on for years, were to get ruined by someone else. Or even myself. It's definitely left me wary!
I'm just curious if anyone who follows this blog has had a similar experience? If so, what did you do?
Was there anything TO do?
Thursday, 1 December 2016
Another bonus is, I've discovered on Ezpdf Pro, that I can crop the sides of pages, so I can crop the white space between pages out, set up the tablet to read two pages at once, and voila, I have very little break on pages and can just continue on with stitching. A far cry from Goodreader, which made us flip between pages and then always defaulted to the bottom of the previous page and the top of the next. It's these little user friendly details that make all the difference in an app. If the programmers at Goodreader were smart, they would tap into this market.
I'm back on Snow, it's about a 3/4 page, but I'm about to start the December rush, where I work almost non-stop, so I'm not sure how much stitching I will be able to do. But come January 9, I start a new job, with a dedicated schedule! No more 12 hour shifts, no more 7am-7pm, or worse, 7pm-7am. I will be doing 8 hours, which will leave me dedicated time to stitch. Of course I won't have those marathon nights any longer, where I was shifting from day schedule to night schedule and I would just sit and stitch for hours (goodbye 1500 stitches a sitting) but the new job is a good thing. It will be nice to have a routine and a set schedule again. January 9th can't come soon enough.
I hope to have an update of Snow soonish for you all.